Monday, September 26, 2011

St. Supéry Merlot 2007

I am, this minute, tasting a glass of St Supéry Merlot 2007 from Napa Valley.  St. Supéry is one of my favourite wineries in the world and they make a Sauvignon Blanc that is amazing.  We seldom see this producer in LCBO stores in Ontario, but it is a popular winery in BC liquor stores.  The LCBO are beginning to acquire more product from them and I like to think I had a hand in that by continually asking for it...maybe not.

As far as the tasting goes, this wine has a beautiful ruby red colour and a remarkable bouquet with aromas of dark tree fruit, eucalyptus and cedar.  On the nose the oak really comes through.  My first sip hit me with a nice acidity and fruit forward.  After a few moments the wood, once again, made an appearance with tobacco and vanilla flavours ending after a minute with tannins highlighting the tobacco flavour.  As it sits in the glass I am noticing a change in character with a pleasant liquorice flavour.

This is a wonderful wine and one that I think I will be able to store for about 3-4 years to enhance the fruit and mute the tannins.  I know I always advocate trying Ontario wines, but this is one of those wineries that just seems to match my palate and I highly recommend any of their wines, when you can find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment