Friday, October 7, 2011

Out of Africa (via Australia)

I've recently been enjoying a show on Food Network Canada (I know! Imagine my surprise) called Food Safari.  This Australian production follows host Maeve O'Meara as she explores African cuisine in the homes and businesses of real African cooks.  These are the kind of shows, as I have said before, that excite me and that I believe should be more prolific on the Food Network.  Shows about food and food culture.  They not only introduce us to new ingredients and techniques but, to new cultures and places.  I find that at the end of Food Safari and From Spain With Love, I am inspired to cook and to try the cuisine, or even just to find a new ingredient or wine.  The first cooking show I ever recall watching regularly, that inspired me to cook, was the Galloping Gourmet.  I loved the show because Graham Kerr was always cooking things I had never heard of before - his half intoxicated antics were just an added bonus.  But the show that, even today, holds my attention most is, The Two Fat Ladies.  Watch it and tell me Britain has no culinary history or culture, that's saying something about inspiration.

It's Thanksgiving weekend, and I am not sure I will be posting much in the way of text, so I will take this time to wish everyone a very happy holiday; my favourite because it involves food, wine, culture and the opportunity to feel grateful for all that I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment